Facts about Whales for Kids
Top Whale Facts for Kids
1. Whales are mammals.
This means that whale calves grow inside their mothers until they are born. Besides, they are nursed and taken care by their mothers until they reach certain age.
2. Whales breathe air as we do.
Therefore, they need to reach the surface of the ocean to breathe because they cannot breathe underwater.
3. To breathe, whales have a blowhole in the top of their heads.
When they reach the surface, they take air in through this blowhole.
4. There are two types of whales, Baleen Whales and Toothed Whales.
There are several species of whales out there, but they are classified according to the way they feed in two types, baleen whales and toothed whales.
5. Baleen whales feed from krill and plankton.
Krill are shrimp-like creatures which are very important ocean creatures.
6.Toothed whales eat several kind of fish, like tuna, cod and salmon among others and some small mammals like seals.
7. The Blue whale is the largest animal in the world.
Even more, it is the largest animal that has ever existed, even larger than the largest dinosour ever found. The blue whale is a baleen whale.
8. Some baleen whales sing.
Particularly the blue whales and the humpback whales are well known for singing.
9. Whales can swim as fast as 30 miles per hour.
10. Some Whales can stay underwater for as long as 90 minutes.
This applies mainly for the sperm whale which can stay underwater for as long as 90 minutes, although a typical dive for other species is around 35 minutes.
11. Whales do not sleep as we do.
To rest, whales sleep only half brain so they remember to take air in, otherwise they would drown.
12. The most famous story about whales is Moby Dick.
Moby Dick is a novel released in 1851 by Herman Melville.